Monday, May 5, 2014

The Beautiful Ordinary






The morning sky blushes as it peeks in on us, waking in each other's arms. But we feel no shame.

He smells my skin and I savor the stubble of his cheeks. Velvet hands caress, smoothing away whatever it is that keeps us from each other. Keeps us from the risk of being known. The curtains are still bunched up at an odd angle because that's the way they like to hang. There are a few cobwebs visible in the corners of morning's brilliant exhale. Coffee has not been started, nor has the toilet been flushed in a few distilling hours. Yesterday's mishmash of permission slips and muddy sneakers count themselves forgotten near the door, where the cat meows and noses her dish.

But all this? It's ours.

I breathe deep. The scent of home.

And there's a great solidarity on this playing field called family life. We share so much more than a place of residence. There's a unity of purpose and a striving toward the same goal as we wrap ourselves in together upon the waking and upon the sleeping. Upon the second-shift-afternoons when my phone lights up with a text or upon the filling the car with gas so he won't have the pause in his routine tomorrow. These are the ways we bring home into what we do. These are the ways we love.

For certainly, God is love and everyone who loves is an expression of God.

I have missed this for so much of my life. Seeking sanctioned places to encounter Truth, I have missed Him in the sunrise spoonings and the stubble on hard-working cheeks. I have overlooked what is sacred in teasing each other in the bathroom and in folding collared shirts just so. There is no miracle so overwhelming as the one that sneaks up on you from behind, where you never thought to look for it, and smothers you with wonder. Whether it be the wonder of wet kisses or the tingle of dappled sunlight.

Barbara Brown Taylor tells us, "Most [routine] tasks are so full of pleasure that there is no need to complicate things by calling them holy." These words provoke me in all the right ways. Because perhaps the flourish that hangs heavy and ripe for me has something to do with inhabiting the everyday miracles of sun and sky, of pizza boxes and loose teeth, and especially in noticing that my wedding ring has worn a beautiful groove into my finger. I need to feel the pinprick of the pine needles against tender skin when I'm pressing myself into them, playing hide-and-seek with my children. To let the wind blow - now caressing, now assaulting - me, as I run, screaming Olly, olly, oxen free! To taste the sweat that slides down the edge of my cheek and drips unabashedly from my chin.

This is home. And this is holy.





Please come with me to SheLoves Magazine to read the rest of this post. ((Just click here.)) But before you go, this is the first week of the brand-new Unforced Rhythms community (formerly Hear it on Sunday, Use it on Monday) and the linky below is open (YAY!), so feel free to add your post.

{A few details by way of necessity: 
1. Please link to your actual Unforced Rhythms post, not just to your general blog address. That way if readers come by later in the week, they can pop directly over to your relevant post.
2. Please also link back to this community by creating a text link in your post.
3. Try to visit others in the community to offer encouragement – and to hear what God might be saying to you there, too. He has many voices.
Thanks!}

24 comments:

  1. Kelly, the linky is not working :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post, Kelli! Thanks for taking over hosting duties for Michelle. It'll be fun to come to your place and have a bit of a different focus.


    Joanne is right, it doesn't look like the linky is working, but if you click on the link in the script, it takes you to another page where you can add your link. Also, will there be a button for us to use or do you just want us to add a link to our post? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for letting me know, Holly. I *think* we might have resolved the issue now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm such a novice, Joanne. :) Thanks for your patience. It's up and running now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no idea how the linky would work either. I just figured to bring it to your attention so this first linkup would be successful :) I am looking forward to you taking this over from Michelle. It has become such a favorite community of mine. May His favor be upon you as you build on the foundation which has been laid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder how many times I've missed God in the "now" moments because I'm looking too far ahead or too far behind. But he is here, he is now, in these ordinary moments. Thanks for sharing this, Kelli, and for hosting us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sharita KnoblochMay 5, 2014 at 7:39 AM

    Hi Kelli! Great to "meet" you and I look forward to participating in your new link up-- thanks for taking the reins from Michelle. Wonderful encouraging post reminding us to drink in the now. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous {swoon}. Too bad I'm not writing this week and cant link up the first day. :( love you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kelli! Good to meet you! I look forward reading your blog & getting to know you! Thank you for continuing Michelles blog party! She did great! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michelle AndersonMay 5, 2014 at 12:59 PM

    This is absolutely incredibly written. Wow. This filled me with such joy. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a pleasure to meet you, too! And welcome - hugs all around! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. No worries, Nacole. The linky will be open till Saturday. If you get the itch and want to join us, you KNOW I'd be thrilled. Love you back, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sharita, I'm just as excited as I can be about this! Thank you for your well wishes and kind words. I look forward to getting to know you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, me too me too me too. I do that SO much, Lisa. I think that's why I wrote these words - we write what we most need to read, yes? ;)
    Thank you for linking! I look forward to reading your words!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, that is *quite* a compliment. Thank you, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Barbara Brown Taylor tells us, "Most [routine] tasks are so full of pleasure that there is no need to complicate things by calling them holy." ... oh, wow. I'll be borrowing this for a blog post near you soon. : ) Happy to be with you here, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. happy kick-off day
    and you've welcomed us with words of beauty light and life!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the Barbara Brown Taylor quote, but most, you know {as you have just read my pure passion journey} the reading between lines & sheets. It seems we're quite kindred in this season {oh, the loose teeth too...that's all over this house!}. Looking forward to this community!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Beth, you would sell yourself short NOT to read the whole book this is taken from: An Altar in the World. My, my, my. Simply transformative.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you so much, Karin. I'm glad you're here.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautifully moving post! Thank you for the sweet, gentle reminder of the precious value of "ordinary". I am so thankful to have found your blog, and I could never put into words how much I appreciated your comments on mine. I needed to hear everything you said. Thank you for being a willing and obedient vessel to convery such a blessing to me! Your words moved me to tears.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those are mighty kind words, Cheryl. It's a beautiful thing to run into other sojourners in this wide internet-world, isn't it? So glad to have crossed paths with you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Exactly, David. Thank you for your resounding "amen."

    ReplyDelete